October 10, 2005

Today is my 1st Anniversary of D-Day

My D-Day, October 10th, 2004. The day was a Sunday last year and that very morning around 10am, I found out the truth and I was in utter shock trying to figure out what to do with my life, what to do with my husband, what to do with myself. This was a turning point and sadly, a tragic and life changing one. I was knocked down off my stability pedestal.

One year later, I'm halfway through divorce proceedings, I'm spending money left and right to get the house on the market, I'm obsessively running and fundraising like mad for an organization that I still believe is cultish, and I detest my job. But then, I have always detested my job so that's nothing new. My soon-to-be ex-spouse is living 45 miles in the Peninsula area, dating a woman 12 years his junior, and he still calls me to talk and apologize and relieve his guilt on me yet again.

And today, on my way down the flight of stairs in the underground, I turned the corner and my foot clipped the wheel of this woman's rolling suitcase as she cut in front of my path. I fell down hard on my legs and cursed loud enough for several people to hear. And one woman says, "be careful" while those standing in the train line stared down at me. Well, I'll certainly be careful next time but it's too late now to be careful since I'm already on the ground. Stupid rubberneckers didn't bother to assist me up off the floor. At least I didn't miss my train. And thank goodness I didn't fall down before I ran my half marathon this past weekend.

Amazing how one year can make all the difference in the world. I still managed to fall down on this day of all days but I know how to get back up and move on.

1 comment:

Amir said...

Dang! You write such a nice post and get all these spam comments? Some things just aren't right.

Congratulations on reaching the 1-year mark. It's empowering to see people move on from bad situations. I know how impossible that can be some times. I was going to write (but you got to it first) that at least you're still getting up when life tries to knock you down.