When you meet someone for the first time, first impressions are always key. You want to look presentable and have your best foot foward. I did just that. Though this was not the case with Hugh last friday.
I met Hugh for drinks at an Irish bar/restaurant near the Embarcadero. In a nutshell, I was mildly disappointed. When I spotted him, the first thing I noticed was that he already had a beer in his hand and the beer glass was half empty! I would think that if you meet someone for the first time for drinks, it's courteous to not get yourself a drink and start guzzling before the person arrives.
So, there he was, standing just outside the bar/restaurant with a beer, looking not all put together and what looked to me like two days worth of stubble. He didn't even think to shave that morning. Not a good sign.
Since I was there and he already spotted me, I had no choice but to stay for the conversation. Every couple of minutes, his eyes kept glancing down at my chest and he was fidgety. Probably just nervous as he was smiling constantly. At one point, I really thought that he might have had more than a couple drinks before I arrived.
After an hour, I explained that I had to return home and check on my dog and proceeded to excuse myself. He was kind enough to walk me to the bart station but I could tell that he didn't want to part so soon. I just wanted to get away from him as soon as possible.
I did not feel an inkling of attraction and during our talk, I would have almost guessed that he had a speech impediment or a slight mental disability. Something wasn't quite right with him and I couldn't put my finger on it.
When we said our goodbyes, he made a move to give me a hug and so I instinctly followed suit. Huge mistake! He thought I wanted a kiss so he bent down to give me one and I felt my face distort into a grimace. That was it. He let go and I walked away.

No comments:
Post a Comment