November 30, 2005

In four days, I'll be a limping zombie

Well, not quite. But I'll certainly be close to feeling like one after running 26.2 miles in 40 degree weather this Sunday morning. It's hard to believe that my marathon, which I have been training for the last three months, is just around the corner. I think I need more training time. I don't feel prepared and both knees have been less than cooperative lately.

I finally got my act together the other day and secured plans for this weekend in Sac. Then I receive a call from a friend of mine the other day. My friend remembered that I'm going to Sac to pay a mutual friend of ours a visit this weekend and she wanted to know if she could hitch a ride with me there and back. Apparently she forgot that I was running a freaking marathon on Sun and no, I can't
hang out with her all weekend and sight-see, and no, she can't stay at my relatives' place overnight just because I can't conveniently drive her back home Sat night. She didn't get the clue that I'm sort of busy and will be stressed this weekend and I'm not her chauffeur. Then she had the gall to say that she supposed she could wait around a couple hours until I'm done running before we head home on Sun. I'm
thinking, yeah, I can sprint through 26.2 miles in a couple hours, hop in my car and drive 3+ hours to take her home and not be sore and tired and irate and sweaty and smelly. I have to learn how to say "no" to people and not be so damn accommodating.

1 comment:

Amir said...

No way!!! You did not agree to all those propositions of hers did you? Sometimes you just need to not have to worry about other people, so I can see how having her around and all demanding can be a pain when you're running a marathon! Good luck with that by the way! Is it your first time?