October 25, 2005

So, things didn't go as planned

Nope, things never go as originally planned. Some higher power threw me for a loop and knocked me down. In this case, my right knee gave out on me and that pretty much wiped out goal #1. I shouldn't complain though. I sub-2 hours in the Nike Half on Sunday. It's a decent time considering I walked the last two and a half miles before sprinting to the finish line. Such is life.

To recap my exciting race:

1) True to Nike's word, it was indeed a woman's marathon. Complete with a chocolate station (for those that crave sweets while sweating), a massage station (for those who need pampering), a sock exchange station (for those who fear blisters on their pedicured feet), an oxygen station (for those who can't breath in low altitudes), and a cell phone station (for those who HAVE to call their husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/parent and tell them how much fun they are having).

2) There were too many TnT runners in purple singlets out there. I felt smothered and I was wearing a white TnT shirt too. But I wasn't cheered on because, well, the Nike race wasn't my fundraising event. Yes, I felt significant.

3) My TnT chapter volunteers were out there in full force. Yet, not one of them recognized me. Even when I ran up to them to say "hello". I got the following canned responses: "Good job. Go Team. What's your name and What chapter do you run with?"

4) Twelve male cheerleaders were shouting and cheering at runners between the 12 and 13 mile markers. Sadly, I had to limp by them while everyone else ran. All the yelling gave me a migraine.

5) After finishing, I stood in a long line that didn't move more than five feet every 15 minutes to collect my sweat bag. Why? Because the sweat bag collection area was mismanaged and disorganized. A half hour later, I sneaked through the exit and got my bag with the help of four volunteers since all the bags were out of numbered order.

6) I didn't see my ex at all. YEAH!

No comments: